Okay, so today was my first day back to work since I’ve embarked upon my “Project Me” program. The day started wonderfully. I felt much better today while walking. I’m telling you there’s nothing more healing than a good night’s sleep! Because I got the rest I needed my walk was much easier than it was yesterday. Afterward, I stretched, showered, journaled, read my devotions and had my prayer time. I made my green smoothie, packed my snacks and off to work I went, feeling good, feeling accomplished and ready to take on my day!
And then it happened. Lunch time! You see, for the past three days, I have been successful on my cleanse because I was in a controlled environment. The safety of my own home kept me away from food, cooking and delectable smells. Under this circumstance sticking to my cleanse was easy peasy. What I didn’t take into account was having to be around others who were not doing a cleanse and who could give two squats about my “little program.”
My little honeymoon came screeching to a halt when the tantalizing aroma of buffalo wings enveloped my olfactory senses. Let me tell you…it took EVERY ounce of strength I had to not pounce on my coworker and take that chicken wing from his hands…I can still smell it almost six hours later. I had to pray and ask the Lord for strength! When the smell became too intense I quickly gathered my things including my little sad Green Smoothie and made my exit. Let me be clear, a green smoothie has nothing on a chicken wing. Absolutely nothing! Did I mention I can still smell it?
This is the first day since I’ve started the cleanse that it’s been challenging…and I still have six more days to go! But I am committed and determined to follow through. The good news is that I only have two more days to endure being around others while doing this. Now that I know what to expect, I can properly prepare.
If this is something you’d like to try, I highly recommend it. The results are amazing. As of this morning, I am down 12.4lbs. My dry skin is starting to clear up and I have energy to boot. I feel great and I’m motivated to keep going. To help me to do so and to prepare you for your own smoothie cleanse, allow me to suggest the following:
- Keep plenty of healthy snacks on hand. The key to success with this cleanse are the snacks. I eat raw nuts, grapes, cherries, baby carrots, apples and if I’m really struggling, I’ll eat a boiled egg. Other than that I drink water and my smoothie throughout the day and all is well.
- Don’t allow yourself to get hungry. Once you’re there, you’ve reached the point of no return. The minute I detect hunger or a slight headache, I drink my water, chug down some smoothie and munch on some snacks to take the edge off and after a few minutes, all is well.
- Keep food and all thoughts of it out of mind and out of site! This is where the TV detox I am doing along with this cleanse comes in handy. I’m telling you if I had to see all of those food advertisements for chicken, burgers, pizza, bacon…oh bacon, I would be completely overwhelmed! I wouldn’t be able to do it. The same holds true for social media. I try not to scroll through my feed because all of those recipe posts are lethal.
- Try your best not to engage in food talk. Oh, my goodness is it me or do we as humans obsess over food? I never noticed until now, but every morning my mother runs down her breakfast menu…I can’t…I just can’t. There is more to life than food. Funny, before this cleanse, food was my end all to be all too.
- Think ahead of how you will handle certain situations. Have a plan for the co-worker who offers you a chicken wing. Did I mention I can still smell it? Have a plan for when someone asks you out to dinner. Know what you will say. Have an answer prepared in advance for when people ask why you’re not eating. My response is simply, “I’m not hungry”.
- Lastly, don’t share what you are doing with everyone. Folk don’t understand and can’t handle it. If you have someone in your life who nurtures you with food, for God’s sake, please don’t tell them! They may just kill over and they’ll definitely try to tempt you with every yummy, delicious, delectable, scrumptious, mouth-watering food item they can get their hands on. Don’t fall into that trap. Stay true to you and what you are trying to do!!
Your Turn To Share
Have you ever done a cleanse, fast or detox? If so, what was your experience? What did you to do keep yourself focused until the end?