Well, I completed my 5K race this morning. Although I finished, I was a little disappointed with myself for not being able to run the whole thing. This was a really tough race (terrain wise). Starting out there was a hill that had to be conquered and I did it, but then they kept coming…LOL. That combined with the heat and the fact that I did not train AT ALL made this race more challenging than the one I ran in March. Nevertheless, I did it, I finished it AND I did it in less time than I did last year…Whoot Whoot!
With each thing I accomplish, my commitment to myself is to constantly challenge myself and also to learn some lessons. Today was definitely a teaching moment for me.
- Lesson 1 – If you are not ready…do not enter the race (to me that’s just a set up for a let down)
- Lesson 2 – Get new sneakers (not for the race), but the minute I feel my sneakers no longer provide the support I need, which I knew was the case about a month ago
- Lesson 3 – Train, train, train and train some more. I haven’t really done any serious running since I completed my last 5K race back in March…Not cool
- Lesson 4 – Always, always, always run your race, which I did. I was able to block out what was going on around me and I did not compare myself to a soul. I did me!
- Lesson 5 – Stay focused…as much as I wanted to give up (or at least wiggle my nose and be at the finish line), I stayed focused on completing the race and doing the absolute best that I could. Of course I wanted to do better, but there’s always next year…heck there’s actually next month when I’m scheduled to run in the Color Me Rad 5K race…looking forward to that AND I will be training for it starting tomorrow!
- Being able to run this year because last year this time I was not able to do so (outside of running across the finish line).
- Running and actually being able to pass a few people (who cares if they were walking…I still passed them) LOL
- Having my friend Traci meet near the finish line and running me in. I actually was able to pick up my pace as she ran beside me and that allowed me to finish the race strong….Thanks Trac!!!!
- Completed the race in less time than I did last year (actually 6 minutes faster) Yay Me!!!!
- Having so many of my BGR sisters in the race and even cheering us on…Thanks Lorraine!!!!