- If I start the day slow and sluggish, I usually lack energy and feel lethargic throughout the day
- If I start the day all willy-nilly and without a written plan, I usually end up being unproductive
- If I start the day by getting up on the wrong side of the bed then I’m pretty much a grumpy bear all day
- If I start the day off rushed and harried I’m pretty much out of sorts for the rest of the day
As I mentioned yesterday I am really focusing on changing my habits and bringing some control and order into my life. One of the first places I have started is with my mornings. Here’s the thing about mornings, although I am not naturally a morning person, I have come to appreciate the beauty and quietness of having time to myself before anyone or anything else starts to clamor for my attention. I have established a morning routine that has allowed me to take control of my day before it has a chance to take control over me.
Here’s what my mornings look like:
First of all I have stopped pressing the snooze. I remember reading many years ago how constantly pressing the snooze zaps your energy. It’s true. No matter how many times I would hit it, I still felt tired and sleepy when I got up. So, no more snooze. Here’s the thing, since I’ve been getting up when the alarm goes off my body has adjusted and I usually wake up before the alarm has a chance to sound. I then…
- Start my morning with a shower while my coffee brews
- Spend time with the Lord in prayer and devotions
- Clear my thoughts through journaling
- Cook my breakfast and enjoy it without distraction
- Get cute for the day, while I listen to music that inspires me and gets me pumped for the day
- Pack my lunch for the day and then head out the door
Occasionally I may cook, since I have time to do so, so that I’m sure to have lunch and dinner and I don’t have to figure it out during that crucial time when I’m hungry. Cooking in the morning really works for me because I’m not tired and I’m not starving!
Here are the benefits of my new morning habit:
- I don’t feel tired or sleepy throughout the day
- I make better food choices because I’m not tired or sleepy
- I have more energy
- I’m more focused and productive
- I have a much better attitude about my job, my journey and life in general
I love my mornings and my mornings are certainly loving me back. I have one more thing I’d like to add to the start of my day and that is to do some light stretching to limber up my body.
One last thought on having a great morning routine. It helps to have an evening one where you’re able to get to bed at a decent time so that you are well rested and able to get up early enough to enjoy your morning routine. So with that I’m off to bed. My morning awaits me.
Your Turn To Share
Do you have a morning routine? What are some things you do to get your mornings off to a great start?