When you decide to lose weight there are many adjustments to be made. Changes in your eating, changes in your schedule, more movement and activity to what may ordinarily be an inactive lifestyle. Perhaps the initial thoughts that pass through your mind are all the things you’ll have to sacrifice and give up such as:
- Saying no to your favorite foods: chocolate cake, fried chicken, pizza, etc.
- Sacrificing sleeping late for an early morning workout
- Giving up a sense of freedom of doing what you want to do vs. what needs to be done in order to be successful
- Having to say no when you want to say yes
Thinking like this will halt your efforts before you ever get started. When you entertain these limiting thoughts you put yourself in a negative position. However, when you begin to think about all that you will gain, that positive energy will propel you forward and inspire you to take action. Different things inspire different people, so the key is to find your inspiration and run with it. When I think about some of the things that I’ll gain when I continue to lose, this list comes to mind:
- More energy
- Being able to wear smaller & more stylish clothes
- Having confidence that soars through the roof
- Accomplishing my dreams because I no longer feel fearful
- Being healthy and strong
- Having courage
- Experiencing a sense of accomplishment
- Gain more self knowledge
As you read through both lists, which one gives you more energy? Which one inspires you to take action? It’s in our nature to avoid that which we perceive to be unpleasant. But when you stop to weigh the pros and cons you’ll discover that what you gain far outweighs what you’ll have to give up. And the good news is that you don’t have to “give it up or sacrifice” forever. Here’s a question to ask yourself. What’s more important to me? A momentary pleasure or a lifetime of satisfaction?
Your Turn To Share
Let’s build a list of all the things we can think of that we will gain when we start to lose. Sharing your list may help someone else to see the light.