Yesterday, I think I ate 1000 calories for each negative emotion I had going on inside me…anxiety, stress, boredom, irritability, and the list goes on and on. The fact that I’m premenstrual only magnified the situation to the nth degree. With each binge frenzy I made a conscious decision to gorge myself to near nauseum. Let’s just say it was not a pretty picture.
When I got home from work I sat on the couch looking around for something to rescue me from my miserable state of being. After fretting and fuming for over an hour, I decided that enough was enough. So I struggled back into my clothes and off to the market I went. I returned home with this….
Last week I decided that I needed something to jump start my healthy eating. After talking to my friend Donna about the 10 Day Green Smoothie Cleanse, I dusted off my copy of JJ Smith’s book, which I’ve had for months. After reading the first few chapters I knew this was something I wanted to do. Now let me say this. I am not one for quick fixes or gimmicky solutions. I stay away from pills, potions and “miracle solutions”, which promise fantabulous results but leave out the part about how quickly you regain the weight back as soon as you go off the plan.
Up until this point I’ve only tasted a dixie cup’s worth of green anything. But I knew this was something I had to try. And here’s why.
- I desperately need something to jump start my healthy eating.
- I need to stop hurting and I’m prayerful that the benefits of eating (or in this case) drinking fruits and vegetables will reduce the inflammation in my body and give me some relief.
- I am sick and tired of food. Here of late, not only have I been eating all of the wrong things, but I’ve been doing so strictly based on convenience and habit. I don’t even want it anymore…but I’ve been eating it because it’s there.
And so with that, the only conclusion I could come up with is…no better time than the present! Today is day one of the 10 Day Challenge for me, and I have to say it has not been bad AT ALL!
- I don’t miss eating.
- I have not allowed myself to get hungry.
- I’ve been drinking my water and eating my snacks, with the sole purpose of warding off hunger and it’s working like a charm.
- I actually like the smoothie! Today’s recipe, “Berry Green”, consists of spinach, an apple, mangos, strawberries, and grapes. Yum!
Over the course of the next 10 days, I think the most challenging part will be fighting the urge of late night snacking. So I’m prepared to handle that by taking my behind to bed.
I’m excited about this first phase of my journey. I know I will lose weight. That’s pretty much a given. But the things I’ll be more interested in and focused on are things such as my mental clarity, energy levels, my mood, a decrease in my aches and pains and changes to my skin. The weight loss will simply be icing on the cake! (no pun intended)
Of course I plan to workout consistently during the time as well. In fact I got in a great workout with my friend Keisha this morning, and I feel great!