I am preparing to go to a cookout in a few hours. Yes, you read that right. Stop rubbing your eyes. I am fully aware that I am on this 10 Day Smoothie Cleanse, and I’m just two more days away from the end. But I am also fully aware that life does not stop just because I have decided to drink green smoothies for 10 days.
When my girlfriend invited me, I respectfully declined the invite. At the time I received the invitation I was just one day into the process. Way too soon to even start thinking about eating let alone trying to figure out how to navigate a cookout. When I talked to her a few days later, she encouraged me to come anyway because there would be salad and fruit, both of which I can certainly eat should I decide to while on the cleanse.
She didn’t know at the time that I was on the full cleanse, meaning no food other than the suggested snacks for 10 days. The more I thought about it, the more I realized that attending the cookout was something I really wanted to do. Not for the food, but for the fun and fellowship of socializing with and meeting new people. I mean just because it’s a cookout does not mean I have to eat everything if anything that is there as long as I had a plan.
Therefore, being the planner that I am I am prepared and looking forward to having a fabulous time.Would you like to know my game plan? Okay, here it is!
- Do not go hungry! I have been drinking my smoothie and water and eating my snacks all morning. I will be showing up with quite a full stomach.
- Don’t wear clothing I can grow with. No spandex for me! I will be wearing a cute pair of jean shorts WITH a belt! The belt is key! Wearing one will serve as a mechanism to keep me from over doing it if I do decide to partake.
- Load up on water, salad, and fruits. This way I am able to eat if I want to and stay on my program.
- Focus on connecting and engaging in great conversation. Arrive with the intention of meeting some new and nice people and enjoying the conversations and laughter.
- And lastly, if I do decide to partake, do so responsibly and in small portions. I ain’t gonna lie. My mouth is watering for a barbecue rib. Just one! I guess I should confess right now…I am going to have it!
So there you have it. I am not going to allow one cookout to derail my program but I am going to allow myself to enjoy it and have fun!
Your Turn To Share
How would you handle this situation if it presented itself to you? Would you do anything differently?